Sunday, May 6, 2012
I have been looking for a good graphic organizer to help my students with word problems. After looking at a few different ones I decided to come up with my own. It is pretty self-explanatory and I hope that my students will quickly memorize what goes in each box on their own so they can use the organizer on tests and when doing homework.
I found this within this article. I wanted to save it because I believe it will be a great way to teach problem solving skills in the classroom while allowing students to be interactive.
DOCTOR ROUNDS FOR PROBLEM SOLVING
• Patient = Problem
• Symptoms = Arithmetic Vocabulary
• Diagnose = Choose Operation
• Operate = Solve
• Final Check-Up = Is The Answer Reasonable?
• Chief of Surgery = Leader – Poses Question
• Pathologist = Identifies The Facts (Symptoms)
• Diagnostitian = Chooses Arithmetic Operation
• Surgeon = Solves The Problem
• Cardiologist = Ensures That Team Got To The Heart Of The Problem –
Operation Was Successful
Wednesday, May 2, 2012
I haven't had a chance to blog lately with end of the semester assignments and exams. It's currently finals week and I will be done next Wednesday for the semester. This has been an amazingly busy semester but I believe I have learned a lot about Special Education. Now I find myself checking teaching job vacancies every hour in hopes of finding the perfect job this Fall. I need a break though so I am hoping to have plenty of time this Summer to enjoy some things in Raleigh that I haven't done yet.
Here is my list of fun Summer activities:
1) Check out Pullen Park
2) Go skating at Jellybeans
3) Grill out
4) Go to the beach
5) Go to North Hills for beach music.
6) Farmer's market trips
8) Try locopops
10) Lady Antebellum concert
Anyone else know of fun things to do in Raleigh or nearby over the Summer please let me know!