Thursday, September 2, 2010

Watch out for Saddleback Caterpillars

      Earlier today my mom showed me an insect she found on one of her flowers.  She had never seen it before so she scooped it up and put it into a jar.  When I saw it, I remembered I had seen it in a book about poisonous creatures I had bought for my 5th graders. I searched it and found out it was a Saddleback Caterpillar. It's a good thing she didn't touch it because they are poisonous and will sting.  I did some more research to see what other people were saying about this caterpillar and a lot of people said their sting can hurt worse than a hornet's sting and can also leave a rash.  Now through the end of September watch out for these little creatures in your flowers, weeds and yards.  It won't feel too great if you pick it up!

No comments: